Monday, April 19, 2010

Tuesday, 4/20/10 - Eternity

Many believe in life after death.

I won't argue this belief from one side or the other and I will concede that basic laws of physics support a continuous but changing progression.



If you remember your high school physics then you recall that "matter cannot be created nor distroyed, it just changes form." This means that the seed that you planted did not "create" matter out of nothing, it took everything it needed from the world around it to become a tree. And when you cut the tree down and burned it you were not "destroying" matter, you were just taking what existed and redistributing it in different forms.

It is easy to conclude that our physical components will not be destroyed, they will just change form. The same could be said for our energy.

But, for me, the missing piece is "consciousness".



For one to appreciate life after death then one must be conscious of life before that death (and, presumably, the life before that one and the one before that one...). If one emerges into a new realm without knowledge of an existence in prior realms then it seems to me that it would be a completely new life and not a continuation of a prior life.

The value in a next life, to me, would be if it benefitted from the prior life and that in each iteration we experienced things that made us better.

Life after death? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. We will all find out one day.



What concerns me more is this life before death and the full appreciation of all that it has to offer.

Do something nice today.

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, Greg, what you say here parallels eastern catholic theology, which is very transcendental (not speaking of dogma here)
    Be careful, that religion thing is a slippery slope...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first picture of the fence was so very appropriate. As I have told you, I don't understand life and death, but I believe nature reflects life, burial, resurrection in the seasons. I once wanted to plant some watermelon seeds that I had gotten from a watermelon I'd just eaten. I was told that I would have to let the seeds dry out (die) or they wouldn't grow. I don't know what that says about an afterlife, but it is intriguing. You don't have to be "religious" to have thoughts about spiritual things. I don't think I am "religious." I do have a strong faith.

    ReplyDelete