Friday, April 16, 2010

Saturday, 4/17/10 - Understanding

This week I rented a room on the other side of the hotel.

It has a balcony that overlooks the slowly vanishing Cypress Gardens attractions. Every day there are trucks and cranes and a little more of the park is taken down and hauled away.

This morning the sunrise caught one of the water slides and turned it golden.



It was a nice going away shot because the slide will probably not be here in another week.

As I looked at the park from the balcony I noticed the sunrise reflected my truck's rear window.



I enjoyed the view for a few more minutes then headed down and out to work.

On the drive I listened to Pat Metheney's Dream Of The Return from his Letter From Home album. The song is one of my favorites but, because the lyrics are in Spanish, I have no idea what is being said.

I suppose that it is a broken hearted love song because the few Spanish words I do understand from the song are:

sueno = dream
corazon = heart
novia = girlfriend

Couple that with the title and it is a pretty safe bet that it's a love song.

What I find amazing is that the song is very emotional even though I cannot understand what is being said.

The song carried me the few miles from the hotel to the lake.




While I was looking for things to photograph I kept thinking about "understanding". I wondered if you understand this picture-a-day blog (that has somehow morphed into a story-with-pictures-a-day blog).



I wondered if you understood why I chose to take this picture and then why I chose to share it with you.

I suppose that sometimes an image or a story will resonate with you the same way that song resonates with me.



Then I thought about people that I don't understand.

I am working at a college this week and I can honestly say that I don't understand the students. Their clothing, hair styles and musical tastes seem strange to me.

But then, I suppose that when I was their age I looked pretty strange, too.



It is funny but I look at that picture and I don't understand. What was I thinking?

Oh, I remember... I wasn't!

2 comments:

  1. I would never have recognized you in that picture! I loved the picture of the reflection in your rear window. Wow! Have a restful weekend. Don't try to "understand" anyone except yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the jeans are back in style! The pictures make me feel as though God is trying to tell us that "life is good - all's well with the world"....if only we could all understand.

    ReplyDelete