Monday, July 19, 2010

Tuesday, 7/20/10 - The Edge



Do all writers stand this close to the edge, toes hanging over - unbalanced - the slightest shift in currents enough to send them cartwheeling, all arms and legs, down and down into the dark place?

Do they, like I do, fix their stares on that blackness, unable to look away, straining to see what is hidden within?

Do they give name to the shadows then repeat that name, over and over - an insane mantra or incantation to raise ghosts, spirits, visions - daring the demons or whatever lives or lurks in those depths to rise up - all horns and claws and fangs - to rend their flesh and scatter their bones?

Or do they quietly request, hand cupped to ear, that the darkness give voice and whisper its secrets?

Are we all maddened men on sad, sway-backed steeds stabbing windmills with words too rusted, too worn, too dull?

And are we all doomed to be consumed by the darkness that calls to us for the illuminations only cast by written word?



NOTE: This post is the result of having read some past winners of literary contests that I have recently entered. If what I read is an indication, writers are the saddest, most tortured group of individuals on the planet. Not a single nice thought in the dozen or so winning entries that I read. Not one. It made me feel bad for the authors. Then I wondered who would want to read someone else's tales of pain and misery and I felt bad for the readers. People that sad, that close to the edge - and I just wanted to lend them an hand, and push...

3 comments:

  1. Yea, Greg. That's called 'confessional' poetry. Came and went in the 70's. This tells me that the judges are from that era and still fixated on the poor me - gloom and doom, dark inner sactum is the sacred - Sylvia Plath renewal crap. Don't go down that route. Stay with the issues that you find interesting to write about - it's refreshing and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second thought, Greg, take note of the contests that award this kind of stuff, then write a poor me-gloom and doom-dark inner sactum is the sacred-Sylvia Plath renewal (I'm going to jump out the basement window and kill myself)kind of poem and submit it. Play the game and collect an easy $500. You can write circles around those winners. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Poetscontestcorner: Be true to yourself. Don't try to imitate in order to win. You are a winner regardless, if you are true to yourself. I have submitted several writings to "Sunday Journal" in the St. Pete Times and never had one accepted. I will continue submissions occasionally. My joy is in writing, not necessarily winning contests. I felt that Pat Conroy's latest book is aimed at pleasing someone other than himself.

    ReplyDelete