Sunday, July 11, 2010

Monday, 7/12/10 - Hello, Joe

"Startled me when you talked. No one ever does. They rarely even say hello."





"This is beautiful." She was right next to me, holding my hand, but her words came from somewhere far away. "I could live here," she said.

There it was: the hook.

Carol was baiting me, fishing for a "let's live together" line.

I am not ready.

"Get ready," I said. When she stopped walking I realized that to her my comment must have sounded like I was about to make that suggestion. "Look," I pointed down the path with my chin, "see the older man walking our way? Watch him."

We stared walking again.

"What about him?" she asked.

"He will say hello."

"So?"

"To everyone. I see him out here every night and he says hello to everyone. And it is not just "'Hi' or 'Howdy' or 'Hey', it is always 'Hello'."



The trail was busy tonight. Cooler weather in the spring and fall lured everyone outside. Young and old, walkers, runners, cyclists, skateboarders, roller skaters and roller bladers whizzed, walked or wobbled along this pathway from sun up until sun down.

It had once been part of the CSX railroad. When roads replaced rails the state reclaimed the old railbeds and built an extensive system of exercise trails that conveniently ran through the heart of many cities then out into the surrounding countrysides. The tracks, at one time a lonely home to stray dogs and toothless men, were now smoothly paved pathways dotted with water fountains and restrooms.

An early evening breeze gently moved the leaves on the moss covered live oak that overhung this part of the path. Sunlight cast glimmers on the pavement making it look like a flowing stream. And floating down that pathway toward us was 'Hello, Joe'.

I don't know his real name, I just dubbed him 'Hello, Joe' because of the way he said hello to everyone.

True to the name I had given him he dropped his chin and said, "Hello" as walkers passed by him. Bikers got a short, three fingered wave as the pedaled by. He gave a single, open handed wave to skaters and bladers. The old and young received a full wave, back and forth. Regardless of what his hands did, 'Hello, Joe' always mouthed the word "hello". I doubt that many heard the word but anyone looking at him would surely recognize it.

"See what I mean?" I asked after several people had passed him.

She watched him waving and saying hello. "What's his name?"

"I don't know."

"You say hello to him every night and you don't know his name?"

I had met Carol online several months ago. Her profile stated that she was 'very shy' but she was the one who made first contact and initiated our meeting. She was coming down to help her aunt recuperate from hip replacement surgery and, at the time, thought she would be down for six weeks. Things hadn't gone well with her aunt. That was in March, seven - wow! - seven moths ago.

We have a good relationship and, as far as I know, neither of us is looking elsewhere. Because of her aunts condition, we had rarely spent evenings together and almost never spend nights together. Our visits were normally during the daytime but now that her aunt is improving we are spending more time together.

I knew Carol well enough to know that her shyness was an incorrect self perception and that before 'Hello, Joe' passed us, we would know his real name.



"Hello," he said as he approached us.

My response was lost under Carol's hearty, "Good evening. How are you tonight?"

'Hello, Joe' hesitated and for a moment seemed unsure of what to say next. "Fine, fine," he managed. "And how are you tonight?"

An entire conversation flowed out from under Carol's original question. Somehow, our southward direction had been reversed and we were now walking northward; the same direction that 'Hello, Joe' had been heading when we met.

At first it was just a few pleasant statements: nice night, great weather, lucky to have this trail, but Carol expertly inserted questions in a way that seemed natural and unassuming.

"My name is Joe," he offered when Carol shared our names, "Joe Healey."

It was funny to me that I had been calling him 'Hello, Joe' for all of this time and it turns out his name really is Joe. I had a private laugh while the two of them chattered on.

Joe liked this trail, used it every day. He could walk south to the lake at Thomas Park, north to the lake at Eagle Lake Park or west to the beach. He had moved down from NY three years ago after his wife died. His house was comfortable, the area provided for all of his needs and at his age he didn't consider that life could be any better.

I only half listened while they talked about New York, places they had in common and the things they missed about the city. I had been to NY only once on a business trip and I can't say that I liked it very much. It was too busy, too loud, too dirty.

While they talked I watched people passing.

We stopped walking and Joe indicated that this was where he exited the trail. We said goodbye and, in her enthusiastic way, Carol added that she was glad that we had met.

"Startled me when you talked. No one ever does. They rarely even say hello." We watched as Joe turned away before we headed back south.

We walked along enjoying the quiet. I thought about Carol, her dedication to her aunt and how well we got along. Maybe living together wouldn't be such a bad idea.

"Did you notice?" I asked.

"Notice what?"

"Joe."

"What about him?"

"The whole time we were with him he didn't say hello to anyone."

2 comments:

  1. Correct "...because of her aunt's condition." As always, I love your word imagery [Sunlight cast glimmers on the pavement making it look like a flowing stream.], but this slice of life didn't capture my attention. Why the mushrooms? Why the decision to "move in" after the conversaton with Joe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thom,
    None of these posts are "finished" works. They are only scratch pad entries that are written as they are being posted. I do not write them in advance then edit them. What you are seeing is first draft stuff based on whimsical ideas. Some work, some don't.
    Similarly, the photos are not always tightly coupled with the story. I take pictures every day and try to use that day's pictures in the post.
    To answer your questions I will need to tell you that to me the story was about loneliness. Joe said hello to everyone but rarely received a response. I tried to make that clear before the story even started by using his quote at the top.
    The mushrooms. Well, it's what I had taken pictures of that day and the first image is of a solitary mushroom (Joe alone). The second image is three mushrooms closely clustered (the three of them talking). The final image is, to me, a very sad picture of a lone man wheeling his belongings down the street. Are they perfect? No but this site is not intended to be perfect, it is only intended to help me to be creative and to provide entertainment to those who wander by.
    The decision to move in was the result of the narrator watching Joe, hearing him claim that "he could not imagine a better life" and realizing that all of his hellos were really just an attempt at social interaction. The narrator did not want to end up in a situation like that - and he didn't need to, Carol was there, they had a fine relationship, she was a good person. Why would he not want to live with her?

    I sincerely appreciate your comments as they will only help me to become a better writer.

    The fact that I had to explain my view on this piece indicates that it either needs serious work or it needs to be scrapped. Either is fine with me, it was fun to spend an evening walking with Joe and Carol and what's-his-name...

    ReplyDelete