Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wednesday, 5/5/10 - Names

I recently came across the name Szymczyk. I have no idea how to pronounce it but if someone held my feet to the fire and made me, I would probably guess shim-check. I would probably be wrong but that's OK, I have been wrong about many things.

Thinking about this name stirred thoughts of how we name things and how we categorize things.

Some call these weeds,





I don't know why,





They look like beauty,





To my camera's eye.





Who decided what would be,





called a flower,





Or called a weed?



And does it matter to a bee?

1 comment:

  1. As Shakespeare wrote, "What's in a name?" Your photographs underscore his message as well as your own. My middle name is Bobo. It is not difficult to pronounce but a well kept secret when I was young.

    ReplyDelete