Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sunday, 5/23/10 - Hopes and Dreams


What is the difference between hopes and dreams?



To me, hopes are things you do.



Hopes are the inspiration for an activity. Hopes have momentum and physical energy associated with them.



Hopes contain all of the power needed to make them real.



Dreams are things that you think about doing. Dreams occur in your head and don't often get beyond that unless some activity transforms that dream into a hope.



Dreams take energy to keep them alive.



On my office wall is the Richard Bach quote: "No matter how qualified or deserving we are, we will never reach a better life until we can imagine it for ourselves and allow ourselves to have it."



I look at that quote every day knowing that, for me, it is incomplete because it does not include a requirement for activity and involvement.



Yes, I can be qualified, deserving AND I can imagine and allow myself to have something but if I just sit there, nothing will happen.



Your dreams may be powerful enough to effortlessly manifest themselves. Mine require work.



But that's OK. The fun is always in the learning and the experience and the journey. Thank you for sharing this experience with me.



NOTE: The images in today's post were taken either on a canoe trip with a really old camera or later in the day as an extension of yesterday's macro photography work. Although some of the macro photos may resemble ones posted yesterday, they are quite different in that they were taken with a much longer zoom lens or with a macro lens. The idea was to work on increasing depth of field in the images.

1 comment:

  1. The best definition of hope I have ever heard is "confident expectation." It's not the hope I grew up with which was very iffy. Of course, I was also reminded of Obama's The Audacity of Hope. Another excellent post.

    ReplyDelete