Monday, March 8, 2010

Tuesday, 3/9/10 - Man of the Moon

A very early and busy day expected on Tuesday. This post entered on Monday evening.



The moon has always intrigued me.
It has many faces
and many moods.




I have been reading
Ray Bradbury's
short stories
and thinking about
space travel,
other worlds
and other life forms.




I am amazed
by Bradbury's ability
to transport us
not only to other worlds
but to other times.




It is not to the future
that he takes us
but to the past
where awe and fascination
live and breathe.




He takes us back
to a time when we
could still dream.




To a time when the night sky
held adventures no more or less
fantastic than those at
our favorite swimming hole.
To a time when dragons slept in
the woods beyond Larson's farm,

when secret treasure maps led us
twelve paces from the crabapple tree
in empty lot on the next block,

when just sitting on railroad tracks
on lazy summer afternoons
was enough to carry us,
as boundless young vagabonds,
to far away places.




When I look up at the moon
I feel the breathless young boy
inside of me
strap himself into a shining
silver rocket and begin
the countdown that will
carry him beyond this world
on adventures that are only
attempted by young boys
with new sneakers, cowlicks
and lifetimes ahead of them
or by daring old men
with wizened smiles
and time left to dream.

2 comments:

  1. Mark Twain wrote: "Every man is like the moon -- he has a dark side that no one ever sees." I grew up thinking I could never share my "dark" side. Only at age 54 did I realize I could be myself and that that "dark side" was not to be dreaded. What a wonderful revelation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no way I can ever write like this. THis blog needs to be seen by all who have a love of literature. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete